carriage house #7
On January 24, 1924, the Sisters of Mercy of California and Arizona purchased the Kohl Mansion, furnishings, and 40 acre grounds from Marian gamf.net Louderback Lord, inheritor of The Oaks estate, for $230,000. This newly formed community of five formerly independent groups of Sisters of Mercy from San Francisco, Rio Vista, Los Angeles, San Diego and Phoenix that united in 1922, was encouraged by Archbishop Hanna of San Francisco to acquire the property and building for a Motherhouse (administrative center) and Novitiate (formation program for women entering the order.)

Carriage house was Frederick Kohl’s and an original part of the property that was kept for many years and used as a gym for the students when the high school was founded.

Written by: Liz Dossa, Sister Marilyn Gouailhardou, RSM and Catherine Wilkinson